Tuesday, November 27, 2012

There are better charities to donate to than HSUS

Real Simple we need to have a real talk. 

I have a monthly subscription to Real Simple. I also have a love/hate relationship with the magazine. On page 144 of the December issue there is a great article about things to keep in mind when making charitable contributions this holiday season.

Two of the tips stood out to me #3. Inquire about the charity's spending ratio, and #4. Look for accountability and transparency practice. Good advice.

Then on page 150 there is an article titled 10 Charities Worth Your Charity. And who do they have listed for their Animal Welfare recommendation none other than the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Why am I against supporting HSUS?

1. HSUS receives a "D" Grade from the Charity Watchdog
The American Institute of Philantrhophy/CharityWatch has given HSUS a "D" grade for the past two years. The reasons HSUS spends as little as half its budget on programs and spends as much as 48 cents to raise every dollar. Read more about their "factory fundraising." Charity Navigator has a poor opinion of HSUS.

2. HSUS funds don't go to local shelters.
Wayne Pacelle, President of the Humane Society of the United States said it himself "We never said we  funded animal shelters." However, HSUS's sad kitty cat and puppy dog commercial sure seem to portray  that. HSUS recently deposited more than $11 million in its executive pension fund, and HSUS has $32 million invented in Wall Street hedge funds.


3. To reiterate point #2. Local shelters need you donations, and HSUS isn't going to help them.
You hear about it time and time again about local shelters that are doing good work having to close their doors. I know my donation will have a greater impact to a local shelter. I know HSUS isn't going to pass on any of my donation to a local shelter. HSUS provides less than 1 percent of its fundraising to local shelters.

Maybe Real Simple didn't follow their own advice. Where will you be sending your donations this holiday season?

3 comments:

  1. Very well said; I hate how so many people are misinformed about HSUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hope is that more people become aware of the SCAM that they really are. I do my part to make people aware of this "duping" also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...