Friday, January 20, 2012

Flat Iron Steak with Green Peppers

Beef get in my tummy. 

I'm lucky I have beef I
can pull right out of
our freezer.
The Boy and are are still not over our Denver Crud yet, but we knew we wanted to have something filling for supper last night. If I don't go to chores with the Boy I always try and have supper started when he gets home, and then we finish the rest cooking together. I think it is one of my favorite things to do.

Instead of popping another B12 pill (B12 is known to boost the immune system) we turned to mother nature's multi-vitamin beef to do the trick.

In our recipe we choose to use the Flat Iron steak. It is one of the 29 lean cuts of beef, is the second most tender cut of beef, and is pretty reasonably priced. You could also use a flank steak or round steak for this recipe.

Recipe:
1.5 pounds of flat iron steak, sliced thinly against the grain
1/2 cup soy sauce (I try to use the reduced sodium kind)
1/4 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
2 green peppers (cut into chunks)
3 teaspoons of olive oil (canola oil would work too)
As much rice as you would like (we made 2 cups)

1. Add your oil to a saucepan and begin heating on medium

2. Mix soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar and corn starch in bowl. Add the sliced beef and coat. Set aside.

3. Once the oil is hot add the green peppers to the oil, be careful it is going to sizzle. Cook for about a minute or two. You don't want the peppers to get too soft. Remove peppers and put in a bowl.

4. Allow the oil to become hot again, and then add half of the beef, leaving most of the sauce in the bowl. Ensure that each strip is flat. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. The great thing about this recipe it the meat cooks really fast because of the thin strips. Remove meat and put in a clean dish.

5. Cook the second half of the meat, again leaving most of the sauce in the bowl. Once the meat is brown add in the first half of the meat, the green peppers and the sauce. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken, it only takes a minute or two.

6. Serve over rice.



This recipe really takes no time at all. We used 1.3 pounds of Flat Iron steak for this recipe, and there was only a tiny bit left for me to take for lunch the next day. If you have a family of four you may consider doubling the recipe. The Boy liked it so much, he said so we are going to make this twice a week right?

Have fun cooking!

p.s. My wedding dress arrived in Chicago, and will be in Iowa Tuesday. The big day is getting close.

11 comments:

  1. Looks awesome Crystal! I am going to try this for supper tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly. Let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish! Hope you're feeling better and yay on the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the recipe! This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recipe sounds awesome! Love Jon's comment ;) Yah for your wedding dress

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear about your wedding dress, that’s so exciting! Also I love this recipe, always looking for new ways to have beef for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I've been craving steak something lately & this just might be it. I love peppers & would probably add red ones too! The sauce sounds great... now my stomach growls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We tried this and loved it! Although I only had one red pepper so I added a couple of stalks of celery as well. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly, glad it turned out great! The addition of a red pepper would be really cool. I bet you could also do red pepper flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love it and amazing information about the Hair straightening brush it's really good and great information well done.
    Hair straightening brush

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work and all information about the CHI that's are very amazing well done.
    CHI

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...