Monday, May 6, 2013

Hunk of Meat Monday: Jalapeño Popper Pastries

This weekend we had a few friends over to watch the Kentucky Derby. The Boy made his first Mint Julep ever, which if you like whiskey you'll like, if you don't don't bother trying them. The food portion of our evening took on a much more Cinco De Mayo feeling including my Baked Tacos and a new recipe Jalapeno Popper Pastries, which I'll definitely be making again. 

I found the original recipe on Pinterest from Lady Behind the Curtain. She put hers on popsicle sticks. Here is my recipe below with a couple of suggestions. 

Ingredients

Pre Made Pie Crust Dough - 2 sheets (usually there are 2 sheets in a box)

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons picked jalapeños, chopped

1 table spoon pickled jalapeno juice

6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped (I didn't have any bacon on hand so I used those precooked bacon pieces and did 1/2 cup. They were great this way, but I think would be better with real bacon.)

1 egg

salt and pepper

2-1/4 to 3 inch biscuit cutter

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 

Mix together cream cheese, jalapeno jucie, jalapenos and bacon until cream. I think you can best control the hotness of this dish with the jalapeno juice. Add a little more if you like hotter, take away if you don't like as much heat. I would stay as is these are mild to medium hot. 

On a lightly floured surface lay out your pie crust and roll out any edges if necessary. Using your biscuit cutter cut out as many circles as you can. Mine was probably around the 2-1/4 inch size and I was able to get 26 circles out of my two pie crusts to make 12 pastries. 


Place half of the circles on the cookie sheet, and spoon in about a tablespoon of mixture. Mix up your eggs with a tablespoon of water. Using your finger dab the wash around the outside of the circle. Place your other circle on top of the mixture and using your finger to gently press together the two pieces of dough. 


Use a pastry brush to brush egg wash onto pastry, sprinkle with salt and pepper. I like the course ground pepper. Using a sharp knife cut a little slit in the top to make an air vent. 

Bake for 23 minutes, let cool and serve! 


You'll definitely want to serve these at your next get together or they would make a great side to some grilled steaks or hamburgers. 

More more Hunk of Meat Monday recipes visit the Beyer Beware Blog and link up. 

2 comments:

  1. They look great, I might have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good - I'll be pinning the post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...