Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Real life watermelon feeds and Farm Bureau

Stepping out of the box.

Last night one of the best events of the year was held at my alma mater, Kansas State. It is called Watermelon Feed. Tables upon tables line the lawn of Weber Hall (where the majority of my agriculture classes and livestock judging team practices were held). And at each table is a different club or campus organization you can join. All you have to do is say hi, ask some questions and write your email down and boom you are involved. And then you eat watermelon.

College days are far behind the Boy and I now, and unfortunately there is no Watermelon Feed. I am a pretty outgoing person, however it can be intimidating to get involved in a new community. Especially, when I am used to taking the lead, and I'm finding that a lot of the groups I am interested in are interested in are doing things the same ole, same ole.

However, today I feel like I made a break through. The Boy and I are officially members of the Iowa Farm Bureau and I am hoping to find a new community in this group. I want to 1. make a difference, 2. give back, and 3. be a leader. These things are important to me, and I think most people my age (that would be the upper 20s age bracket) would feel the same.

For those people that are well established in your communities remember that some of us are craving to be apart of something bigger we just need direction, or need to be asked because sometimes it is hard to know what is out there.

And for those of you that are like me. I am finding that you won't always be able to find an email address or twitter handle to get in touch with a contact person. Sometimes you have to pick up the phone or walk into a meeting not knowing what you are getting yourself into.

10 comments:

  1. You might have inspired me to get involved with the FB. I have to make myself be outgoing. I pay my dues yearly....due to having insurance through them....so maybe I should get a little more active with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited about the possibilities. I am really interested to find out more about their Young Farmer and Rancher program.

      Delete
  2. Iowa Farm Bureau is one of the best in the country. I'd suggest you check out their ag leaders program - it's a one year commitment, but offers excellent training and networking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will definitely look into that some more.

      Delete
  3. Farm Bureau is a great way to get involved! In Wyoming we have a Young Farmers and Ranchers Committee within the Farm Bureau Federation specifically designed for people who want to get involved, make a difference and add a younger voice. Perhaps Iowa has something like that? You would be great at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am currently trying to figure out some more about YF&R. We live over on the eastern side of the state and so far it seems like some of those activities are a little more on the western side, but I am going to keep digging.

      Delete
  4. You will love YF&R, I can guarantee it. It's amazing to gather with other people your age, with ideas, energy and see what happens. Farm Bureau is how I became more involved in agriculture advocating, and if it wasn't for my FB family, I would never have had the courage to step out and find my voice. You will be a great asset to the organization! Just remember, you get out of it what you put into it...and be willing to take a few chances. :) Good luck and have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining! My husband & I have been active in Farm Bureau here in Illinois for years and have always enjoyed it. I think that you will definitely find it worthwhile, with plenty of opportunities to take advantage of. Like most other ag organizations, FB is in need of bright young people to get involved. I'm so glad that you'll be one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so excited to comment to your blog post! My husband and I just finished our term on the state Young Farmer Advisory Committee in Iowa. A great way to learn more about Iowa's YF program is to attend the state Young Farmer Conference which will be January 25 - 26, 2013 in Des Moines. There are over 400 young farmers that attend the conference which is filled with tons of great information and networking opportunities! What county do you live in? I'd love to help you discover and get in touch with Young Farmer leaders in your area!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to this about being in a new community and not knowing where to get involved. In college I was involved in just about everything ag related that was offered, and now being in a brand new community, it is hard to find ways to get involved when you don't know anything about your surroundings. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...