Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hunk of Meat Monday: Freezing Soup

Pinterest has genius ideas. 

I would like to once again profess my love to Pinterest. Awhile ago I came across an idea for freezing soup, which is perfect when you are cooking for one (soon to be two).

I decided to try my bright idea out on Debbie Lyon's Beef Enchilada Soup recipes because it is amazing, and one of my favorite crock pot recipes. What I love about this recipe is 1. it contains beef, 2. the ingredients are really easy and 3. you just throw it in the crock pot and come home and boom supper is ready.


All the ingredients you need + taco seasoning + lean beef (90% lean is what I use)

However, this recipe makes a lot of soup. I actually only use 2 or 3 pounds of beef in my recipe instead of the four it calls for. So what are you to do with all the extras? Get out your muffin pans.


Pour the left over soup into the muffin pans. For this I used my jumbo muffin pans, but you can use the regular sized ones too. Then pop the muffin pans into the freezer.


Once the soup is frozen, pop the frozen soup out. I ran a little hot water over the outside of the pan to help them come lose. Next place 2-3 of the frozen soup pieces for large pans or 3-4 for small pans into freezer bags. Then the next time you are needing a meal all you have to do is grab a bag out of the feezer and bam you have a meal! Anyone else have some awesome soup recipes they would love to share?

For more Hunk of Meat Mondays visit Leah Beyer's blog or Katie Pinke's blog. They are both Rockin' Rural Women with all kinds of awesome recipes for you and your family to enjoy. 

8 comments:

  1. Love this idea. Makes complete sense, but it took pinterest to think of it! Great soup. I will have to try this soon. Resembles a Mexican Chili some of my Hoosier friends make. Thanks for linking up to Hunk of Meat Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to your Pintrest. I'm a newbie, and really not much into it; but I'm looking through your boards and think I will find a couple neat ideas there!

    And thanks for the idea for leftover soup. I will bookmark this and use it the next time we make too much gumbo or something similar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. I hate taking a container of frozen soup out of the freezer and battling to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I am going to do this method with a few different soups for when I finally calve! Might do that this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MISS MONTANA BOOTS USAOctober 24, 2011

    Very clever !! Love the blogs !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing!!! I can't wait to try this. Thanks for reading and commenting on my last blog...early congrats on becoming his wife!!! You two seem to have it together, and your partnership will be amazing and so much more! It crazy, but its worth it! How is wedding planning coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela we are so excited about our wedding and the planning is going great. Today's post is some our engagement photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Have you ever frozen the leftover soup in souper cubes trays? You can get them on amazon. Each cube is exactly one cup, which makes a perfect individual portion. They're made of silicone so very easy to pop out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...