Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Perms and Simmental Cattle

Keep reading. Embarrassing photos are revealed.

It's interesting the tags that get placed on your as you move from point to point in your life. In my professional network many people know me as that Angus girl. And now there are some that refer to me as a Hereford girl due to my past internship with the American Hereford Association and now the Boy and I's engagement. The truth is I am actually a Simmental gal at heart!

My family has always had Simmental cattle and my sister and I were surrounded by Simmental cattle from the time we were born. My first cow, appropriately name Crystal Cow, was a big red and white spotted thing. Her first calf was name Stacy Cow, and appropriately given to my sister.

Today, I am very excited because I get to return to some of those Simmental roots. I'll be speaking to 55 engergitic (let's hope they are energetic and I don't put them asleep) young Simmental enthusiasts at their leadership conference, The Summit - Mark Your Spot.

Getting ready for the showring.
My family was extremely active in the Young Canada Junior Simmental program and I even attended to National Classics in the U.S. - one in For Collins, Colorado, and one in Bowling Green, Kentucky. It was probably after my second National Classic that I really started thinking about attending school in the States. The people I had met through the American Junior Simmental program (the Hege, Parke, McDowell, Phillips and Harker families) were awesome people, I would have the opportunity to be apart of a Livestock Judging Team and Agricultural Communications was a degree only offered south of the border.

Hopefully, I'll inspire a few people today.

Myself (yes, that is a perm), Aleesa, Cody, Krista, not sure, Jake and Chris all the awards banquet at that Junior National in Kentucky. 

I was quite the karaoke star - I am pretty sure we are signing the Dixie Chick's Good Bye Earl here.

One of the last National Classic I attended in Canada.

8 comments:

  1. we recently attended our first Simmental Jr. Nationals. it was so good for our son and we made wonderful family memories. we cant wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Crystal! This reminds me of my own junior board days and the tags I've had. Enjoy your day going back to your roots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 20, 2011

    Good luck on your speech, I know you'll do great! It's amazing what those national activities do for you, they took me to a lot of great places, introduced me to wonderful people and really cemented the love of Jersey cattle in my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal! I love your blog post! It brought back so many memories when I participated at National Junior Simmental Classics when I was younger. But the part I love the most about your blog is, we know the Hege's and Parke's too! My brother were great friends with them! You never know who you're going to run into that will know someone that you know. But, I truly love what national classics do for youth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out! I'll never forget the first time I met you.....or the second AJSA Classic you attended. It's so great to have you as a part of our extended family. You are a great asset to the cattle industry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 20, 2011

    Priceless memories right there! Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear so many other have benefitted from Junior Cattle program. The Boy said he wasn't so concerned with the hair, but thought the jeans were pretty special.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...