Friday, April 15, 2011

Miss America Agriculture

Pageant Queens, Farmers and Ranches

Today, is just a quick note, but I really wanted to say thanks to 2011 Miss America Teresa Scanlan. Today Teresa Scanlan published an article on FoxNew.com titled Why All Americans Have a Stake in the Success of Our Farmers and Ranchers. 

2011 Miss America
Teresa Scanlan
Before you read on, stop and think for a moment. How do Farmers and Ranches affect your life?

The question is a little easier for me because Farmers and Ranchers are my family, my passion, my livelihood, and they provide me with the food that ends up on my table. However, it doesn't matter if you are a fifth generation rancher or living in a sky-rise apartment Farmers and Ranchers do impact your life.

I encourage you to read all of Miss America's article, but here are a few quotes that rang true for me.
As I write this, America has just 210,000 full-time farms. That’s it. And being from an agricultural community, I know these aren’t large corporations with giant bank accounts. These are small businesses with huge overhead expenses and a history of modest profits.
Modern-day agriculture has to do its part in reaching out and teaching us about what they do and how they do it. Educational groups like The Hand That Feeds U.S. and the U.S. Cattlemen’s Association are a good start, but it’s not enough. 
The rest of us must reconnect with our rural roots and understand that we all have a stake in the success of farmers and ranchers. Urban and rural America need to come together, and I plan to spend my time as Miss America to make that happen. 
And finally I love this last quote of hers. 
After all, I was Miss Nebraska first. And if a small town girl from the Midwest can make it all the way to Miss America, maybe she can help bring America back to the Midwest.
I'm no Miss American but I guess I hope through my blog and answering consumer questions maybe I can also bring a little bit of America back to the Midwest. 

I mean it might work. 

9 comments:

  1. How fantastic - thanks for sharing! I think you'd make an AMAZING Miss American Crystal - love your cut & paste work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I hadn't heard about her.....thanks for sharing! :)

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!

    Put a link to you on Facebook pages for me, my blog and our farm!

    https://www.facebook.com/FromMyFrontPorch

    https://www.facebook.com/CampbellGrainAndLivestock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal you have alot of what it takes to be Miss America, You are talented, well spoken, a blond bomb shell, and a "Skinny Minny" however you may encounter a couple of obstacles on your quest to be the next Miss America.... #1 You are aware of you vertically challenged genetics, right? and #2... You are Canadian! But hey if its your dream, dream big! Ha Ha I'm Funny!
    Kim Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this story! She has such a unique platform to speak for agriculture.
    (Also, I may be a little late to the party on this, but I love the re-design of your blog! Very nice!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your support. My cousin Kim is correct that since I'm of Canadian decent I might have a little bit of a problem. Perhaps we can start our own pageant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by the new blog! I am very excited to help spread the word about agriculture ... I am very tired of all the misconceptions I hear and read!

    I never follow pagents but I am so happy that she supports agriculutre!

    I look forward to getting to know you are reading your posts - I'm not following you.

    The House That Ag Built

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being from the midwest and growing up on a ranch I get it. It's a hard life but honorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I had no idea about the Miss America Pageant. I'm glad a farm girl won it and that she is so dedicated to educating the nation about the importance of agriculture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...