Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The cow that jumped over the fence

Oh my.

Sometimes in a group of cattle you'll come across a cow that will not so affectionately be called a fence crawler. This term refers to those cows that like to jump over or through fences and escape regularly. On my family's farm these cattle didn't get to stick around very long. There is nothing worse than getting a call from your neighbors to tell you the cows are out.

However, this young girl was very excited about her cow's fence jumping skills.

photo courtesy of photoblog.msnbc.msn.com by Kerstin Joennson/AP

Yes, that is a cow jumping over a fence. You can read the whole story here. about Regina's Mayer's determination to ride. When her parents told her she could not have a horse, she decided that "Luna" one of her family's cows would be the next best option. I'm a little embarrassed to say that "Luna" appears to be a tradition Fleckvieh Simmental cow. 

My family does raise Simmentals (ours are black or red though), however I don't think I'll we'll be turning them into dual-purpose animals anytime soon. Transportation one day, beef raisers the next, I don't think so.

10 comments:

  1. When I arrived to work today this image was waiting in my inbox from a co-worker who found this blogpost! Funny huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! thanks for sharing!

    www/thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. we raised Simentals as well and whenever we would put them in the corral to sort them or something one would usually jump out. I guess those long legs are good for something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it.. I would love if one day it will be some kind of sport! I can see thee entertainment value in it!

    Hannah
    The Ambitious Cattlegirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. My secretary ran into my office today and was so excited to show me this article! Anything cow-related she brings to my attention ASAP. :) I assured her this was one thing I had not ever tried!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats crazy! Our cows remind me of PBR bulls, they're mean haha, I can't even imagine trying to ride one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have found that the vinyl PVC fencing solutions we are offering in regina fence installers have been well received, especially with a lot of the new varieties that have come out in different colours and textures, such as wood grain, giving customers the warm look of wood but in a durable vinyl PVC product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I found this very intriguing indeed. I dunno why you'd be embarrassed by the breed of cow but okay...

    By the way, you might want to double check the link you've got posted up because I wanted to read it and all I found was a '404 Error' page saying the requested link was not found.... Not sure if they took the story down from the time you posted this up.. But that seems to be the case.

    I'm gonna Google for this story though... It sounds like such an inspiring, awesome and unique story!
    All-in-all, thanks so much for sharing and piquing my interest, Hun! ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though like the orange plume it is not necessarily an easy plant to trim because of it's branching habit so best to let it do it's thang. This plant is not only gorgeous but it is practical too. Winner, winner here! chain link fence slats

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...