Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tough Enough to Wear Pink

Treasure your chest...

Back when I was at K-State I was part of a group called Collegiate Cattlewomen. We did a lot of agriculture awareness on campus and worked closely with the Kansas Beef Council. In the fall of 2006 I thought that it might be nice to do a little philanthrophy work. I had heard a lot of great things about Wrangler's Tough Enough to Wear Pink Breast Cancer awareness program, and thought why don't we do something K-State style. Collegiate Cattlewomen recruited Sigma Alpha, an agricultural sorority on campus, to help extended out audience. We sold shirts will the slogan, "Because great breasts are worth fighting for." Yeah, it stirred the pot a little bit with the teachers and staff, but that didn't stop us from raising $7,500 for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Our first year success shocked me, but I knew we had something special going on.  

The next year we continued our campaign. This year on the back of our hot pink shirts it said "Save the Ta Tas" - and we raised $9,800. That's me with our big pink check!

When I graduated from K-State I was a little worried about Tough Enough to Wear Pink, but the girls more than exceeded expectations. $11,000 was donated in 2008! "Hope for Hooters" was a huge success.

And now they are back at it again this year with - "Treasure Your Chest!" T-shirts will be on sale in the K-State Student Union October 6, 7 and 9th. You can also join that gals for a BBQ on Weber Lawn on Thursday, October 8th, and purchase your T-shirt there. T-shirts are $10. I know a lot of you reading this are from places other than K-State and you can participate too! T-shirts can be ordered through Tera Rooney - trooney@ksu.edu. Shirts will be shipped to you for $15. This year the goal is $13,000 and I know that can do it.

So think pink, and support a great cause!

2 comments:

  1. Crystal!
    You can only imagine how much I LOVE this post! We all know I am fighting for the "ta ta's" every chance I get!
    I hope they do great again this year!!
    We have a team in the CIBC Run For The Cure on October 4th - my family believes our breasts are worth fighting for (first hand!)!
    Thanks for the amazing post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your family has lots to fight for. When I first started to work on this I didn't really know anyone with breast cancer, it is amazing how that has changed over the years. Good luck on your run! I know you guys will do great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...