Monday, September 28, 2009

Great news - your pet can become a vegetarian too!

They won't stop at us and our kids, now they are after your dog and cat too!

Today I came across an article on the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences website, and I was shocked at what I found. The headline - Should Your Pet be a Vegetarian - quickly caught my attention.

My first reaction was do people honestly think about this kind of stuff, but to be truthful they probably do. Below is the first paragraph of the article.

There are so many human vegetarians that some of you may have wondered if your beloved four-legged friend is able to share the same passion and cause as you. If you have ever been interested in having your pet become a vegetarian it should be helpful to know the certain nutritional needs that your pet has, in order to make the right decision regarding vegetarianism.



The article goes on to say that it is OK for dogs to be vegetarians because they are "opportunistic carnivores" and only eat meat when it is available, it isn't a "necessity." Now if you own a cat, they need meat and a vegetarian diet isn't a healthy option for them, because they are true carnivore and can't fulfill certain nutrient requirements without meat protein.

I am all for tolerance. If you want to be a vegetarian, or your pet for that matter, I won't disagree with you as long as you have researched all the facts - and that doesn't mean getting one-sided information from animal rights activists. I am just really surprise that one of the most well know agriculture schools in the country would even suggest something like this. I guess they are no more immune to it than my alma mater.

All I can say is I think I am going to have a hamburger tonight, and give my roommates dog part of it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Crystal. Just found your blog from a link in the YPC Cattle Call blog. Keep up the good work. I just started my first blog this morning as well. Check it out if you like.
    http://americasgreatdivide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...